As technology rapidly evolves, healthcare delivery organizations face a common challenge: a cluttered and complex portfolio of disparate imaging systems encompassing a broad range of services. Recognizing that these imaging applications and systems don’t work well together and lack EMR integration, many organizations are exploring the benefits of application rationalization to develop an enterprise imaging platform.
Understanding the unique challenges of healthcare imaging
Hospital systems tend to accumulate dedicated imaging applications—encompassing a broad range of specialty services, such as radiology, cardiology, pathology, and surgical—that are each managed in a siloed environment. This fragmentation lead to increased costs, data duplication, and limited interoperability, hindering efficient workflows and patient care coordination.
Breaking down silos with application rationalization in healthcare imaging
Application rationalization in healthcare imaging starts with a strategic assessment of existing imaging applications. By consolidating and rationalizing the application landscape, healthcare organizations can overcome the challenges posed by disparate systems and unlock a host of benefits that include:
Implementing a successful application rationalization
Based on our experience at Pixel Health, we recommend customizing the application rationalization process to each organization’s unique needs.
- Inventory and assessment: By conducting a comprehensive inventory of applications and infrastructure, we assess their business value, usage patterns, and integration capabilities. This process also identifies overlaps, redundancies, and opportunities for consolidation.
- Define criteria and prioritize: We establish clear criteria for evaluating applications, such as business value, cost, functionality, and support. We then prioritize applications based on their strategic importance and potential for optimization.
- Document the cost savings opportunity: We use either ROI (return on investment) or TCO (total cost of ownership) methodology to evaluate current expenses, savings, and new revenue opportunities.
- Create a rationalization roadmap: We develop a roadmap that outlines the steps and timeline for rationalizing an application portfolio, considering factors like migration plans, resource allocation, and change management to ensure a smooth transition.
- Execute and monitor: The final step involves implementing the rationalization plan and retiring or consolidating applications as necessary. This includes monitoring the impact of changes on business operations and evaluating the effectiveness of an application landscape to inform current and future adjustments as needs evolve.
Getting started with your roadmap for enterprise imaging
In today’s digital world, where agility and efficiency are paramount, enterprise imaging platforms have become a strategic imperative. By simplifying and optimizing their application portfolio, your healthcare organization can unlock cost savings, drive productivity, and enhance your competitive edge.
Take the first step toward streamlining your imaging operations today and embrace the power of enterprise imaging.
Pixel Health can help you examine your current environment, evaluate your needs, and identify a roadmap. Get in touch to start the discussion.